The blog is no longer Goobertech and I'm no longer the Goobermaster. The names have been growing stale for me for a while now anyway, so I've taken the end of the year as an opportunity for change.
It was quite a lot of work actually. Domains, usernames, email addresses, forwarders, etc. all had to be changed. And not just for me, but for Sid and Luis as well. Here're the basic steps I had to take:
- Attain new domain - I purchased "the-manfort.com" because the one without the dash wasn't available.
- Swap domains in WHM - After the nameservers updated, I simply used Web Host Manager to rename goobertech.net to the-manfort.com.
- Add a permanent 301 rule - After creating a new account for the old domain, I added 301 redirect rules in its root .htaccess file. This forwards all old links (eg. google) to the new domain. And it helps teach all the robots to update their records correctly.
- Recreate email forwarders - I use one gmail account for everything, so I made a new gmail account and forwarded all new addresses and all old addresses to it. Now I won't miss any mail and can respond with the new cloaked address. Bonus - My old effed up contact list is also new, so I can babysit this one this time and make sure it syncs correctly with my iPhone. :)
- Update Facebook/Twitter/etc. - Facebook was the most challenging of course, but miraculously, I was allowed to change my facebook url to something new. :) Not sure how that worked out, but it did.
- Repeat the last two steps for Sid and Luis - Since they both have Facebook and Twitter accounts, these all needed to be upgraded with the new info as well. Tedious more than anything.
And so it's done! I'm now Slye Fox and the site is now officially The Manfort.