The first rule of Fight Club is you don't talk about Fight Club...

June 1st, 2009 - 3:50pm by Slye Fox

...unless it involves defending your girlfriend's honor against a gang of rogue ninjas. Or something like that.

Really - it looks much worse than it is.

After Joni's birthday party, Danielle and I were biking home. We'd almost arrived, and suddenly Danielle shouted, "Curb!" Which she bounced over. I was not so lucky. With no reaction time, I hit the curb hard and flew over the handlebars -- landing on my chin. Ouch.

I lay there for a bit stunned and realized that I couldn't move anything. It was a mixture of incredulity and morbid curiosity as I lay there with head on the sidewalk and legs in the street willing my limbs to move without effect. Danielle poked my legs and since, I could feel that, my concern went down drastically. I lay there at least a full minute or two before I could garner enough strength to roll over and out of the street. After a few minutes to collect myself, we walked the remaining few blocks home.

I felt fine -- no back soreness, no neck tenderness -- but my arms and fingers had that "pins and needles" numbness and pain. And it wasn't going away. Not to mention my face looked like I'd either been munching zombie brains or I'd taken a direct hit by Tyson in the ring. My chin didn't hurt though, it was this annoying finger/arm pain that was keeping me from falling asleep.

After the tingling sensation turned into a shooting sharp pain that shot from elbow to fingertip, we made our way to the Edina ER. At this point the pain spasms had me near passing out and I had to lie on the floor to keep my breathing steady. That scared the ER staff and they put the neck brace on me and wheeled me off inside.

Still able to crack a joke though.

Looking pathetic at the hospital.

A few hours in the hospital later (along with a series of neck X-rays), the doctor determined there wasn't anything critical wrong. I had full mobility and had no neck stiffness or soreness. He suspected that I bruised tissue around my spinal cord and that it was pinching a nerve that ran to my fingers. Admittedly, after a few hours of sitting in the hospital, I wasn't having the shooting pains anymore and just felt the continual pins and needles feeling. They offered me pain meds, but I declined, (later doses of Ibuprofen didn't do anything anyway). I went home with instructions to call in if symptoms continued or got worse.

Now today, it's been over 24 hours and this prickly feeling hasn't lessened. I look horrible and have to suck things through a straw, but my face/chin/mouth doesn't hurt. But every time I touch something with my fingers, it feels like I'd been sleeping on my arms funny and now they're waking up. Sometimes it's mild, and sometimes it's as if my fingers are warming up after a case of frostbite. It's continuously uncomfortable and at times down right painful.

I'm lax to go back to the hospital because I know that they'll just do more scans, ring up a huge bill, and then find nothing wrong to be followed with pain meds. So instead, I've got an appointment with a chiropractor/acupuncturist tomorrow morning. I've never experienced either before. I'm hoping that the direct therapy can pin point my nerve problem and at least make the symptoms less if not go away all together. We'll see.

Until then -- cheers with a straw!

June 1, 2009 - 5:22pm
a_jaclyn says:

Wow, that sounds horribly scary, the moment of not being able to move! So glad you recovered from that part and are paying attention to all potential symptoms, and taking care of yourself.

The phrase "hoping that the therapy can 'pin' point my nerve problem" made me smile.

June 1, 2009 - 5:28pm
Tiffiny says:

omgz!! i'm so glad you're ok. scary.

June 1, 2009 - 9:00pm
jwright_71673 says:

Man, that sucks! :-( Hope you feel better soon.

June 1, 2009 - 11:14pm
damncutekitty says:

Heal well dude.

June 2, 2009 - 8:26am
lonely_doll says:

Gaaa - get better soon!

June 3, 2009 - 6:58pm
Kari says:

Hun! I turn my back on you for a few days and look what you go and do!

I'm speaking from experience here - if the "pins and needles" don't go away in 7 to 10 days, you need to be check for disk problems. After that time the swelling should subside and the numb/tinglies go away. I put up with it in my right leg for almost 9 months before a more thorough doctor discovered I'd ruptured 2 disks in my back and by that time the pressure on my sciatic nerve was permanent. Can we say surgery boys and girls?

Call me if I can do anything to help. Big (but very gentle) hugs!